About Me (1992)
One of the most common inconsistencies one can find in video game development today, specifically multiplayer game projects across the wide spectrum of funding tends to be just how little time is devoted to developing engaging multiplayer landscapes/maps/levels, generally on development, multiplayer maps are just left overs of single player game development and are added as almost a “bonus” for the playerbase… Yet with modern multiplayer focused competitive games and social media this is just an old luxury that these days devteams across the industry simply can’t afford to pay.
I find that developing multiplayer environments which allow for strong metagame development and unique visually intriguing tilesets just tends to work best for targeting that top 10, 20% of the hardcore multiplayer population, who can then be rather easily turned into “game evangelists” and word of mouth spreaders, all the while creating a rock solid foundation over which if so desired an E-Sport-like scaffolding can then be built! It all takes work, team cohesion and strong communication, but these are the skills I have been building for years of silently toiling away administering E-Sport tournament map pools and aiding game developers to accomplish.
It would be my pleasure to help out with these challenges, after all, it is what I enjoy the most. Building things!
Game & Level Design
- Experienced on prototyping/pre-production in game & level design positions, agile prototyping.
- Long experience on single and multiplayer level design for strategy game titles, scripting levels, greyboxing.
- Experienced with procedural Level Design production tools such as World Machine, Houdini, Substance Designer Height Maps and UE4 Level Design Toolkits.
- Strong quality assurance experience and general level optimization.
- Considerable experience level dressing & environment art in order to allow for good viewing experiences on Singleplayer, Multiplayer and E-Sport settings.
- Applications: HoudiniFX, Substance Painter & Designer, 3DS Max, Maya, Zbrush, Blender, World Machine, Photoshop, NDO, Tortoise SVN.
- Engines: SC2 Galaxy Engine, Essence Engine, Unity, Unreal Engine.
- Languages: Visual Scripting, SC2 Scripting/Trigger work, HTML, CSS. (Unity Experience: simple C#).
- Strong quality assurance skills, honed over the years of doing Level Design for highly competitive Multiplayer environments.
- Strong Teamwork, communication skills and something which I consider of high regard: Empathy.
- Calm under high stress situations (Done bug fixing for Live E-Sport tournaments!).
- Forward Thinking, always trying to identify possible future pain points so possible future problems can be easily addressed.
Projects & Work History
Iron Harvest • KingArt Games • Freelance Multiplayer Level Designer, Level Artist (2019-2020)
- Grey boxing and map design of several levels from sketch to delivery.
- Strongly interfaced with Lead Level Designer and other Level Designers and Artists, quickly iterating on our environments and aiming varied gameplay for each independent map.
- Pathfinding, Clipping/Collision and other general optimization with in-house tools.
- Created moodboards and other visual tools to showcase/pitch new environments, props and assets for 3D prop artists to create and leadership to discuss.
- Created Level Design documents providing feedback and pain points for the at the time available multiplayer maps and how to improve them for better less awkward gameplay.
- Level dressing/Level art of the game world using procedural tools and simple gameplay lighting, final lighting was implemented by Lead Artist Stefan Obst.
Immortal: Gates of Pyrus • Sunspear Games • Lead Multiplayer Level Designer, Environmental Artist (2018)
- Grey boxing and map design.
- Gamemode protyping and iteration.
- Close design talks with Lead Game Designer on core gameplay problems and finding solutions to those.
- Working with 3D artists and developing up our main asset production pipeline.
- Polishing, modifying, retopologizing and optimizing our in-house and commissioned 3D assets.
- Interfaced with Lead Producer to improve the marketability of our environment, all the while keeping it Lore friendly.
- Pathfinding, Clipping/Collision and other general optimization.
- Light creation of Environmental Art, 2D and 3D assets.
- Level dressing and simple gameplay lighting.
- Discussion & selection of maps based on the selected desired outcomes of StarCraft II Development Team alongside Pro-Gamers and other SC2 Community figures.
- Optimized the art, terrain and assured the technical quality of the TeamLiquid Map Contest finalists, in order to streamline Blizzard’s QA pipeline, and avoid issues with the official TeamLiquid Map Contest E-Sport Tournament.
- Gave technical data about possible technical engine issues with certain map selections and implemented fixes to said problems.
- Communicated with finalists in order to give tangible map feedback to contest participants and future submitters.
Dawn of War III Community Mapmaker (2017-2018)
- Creation of maps for the Dawn of War III community.
- Environmental dressing of levels.
- Working with the DoW III community to fill the gameplay gaps of Relic’s official multiplayer map pool.
- Prototype, design, implementation, optimization & QA of Multiplayer maps.
- Environmental dressing of levels.
- Asset modification/creation to fit the environmental concept art.
- Level balancing for multiplayer games, maps used on competitive Vanguard Prototype E-Sport Tournaments.
- Discussed and give feedback to Lead Game Designers for possible system modifications to address balance and design issues, including deep economic game economy systems.
- Agile iteration of levels, greyboxing.
StarCraft Mapmaking Association • MapCave.net • Director (2014-2017)
- Administrative yet very hands on position.
- Created communication links with Blizzard Entertainment Community Managers & Developers.
- Managed several SC2 E-Sport tournament map pools, and gave advice about market strategy to promote the usage of high quality community level design.
- Mentored & helped newer community mapmakers to create high quality multiplayer level design.
- Wrote extensively about specific level design frameworks, and how to approach the balancing of highly competitive RTS titles such as StarCraft II.
StarbowMod • Level & Game Designer, Quality assurance & Optimization (2014-2016)
- Prototype, design, implementation, engine optimization & QA of StarBow multiplayer maps.
- Map pool design & oversight.
- Level dressing, gameplay & engine optimizations, quality assurance.
- Discussed and gave Lead Game Designers feedback over unit balancing and terrain interactions/unit-terrain balancing.
- Worked with Lead Game Designers on implementation of unit design ideas.
StarCraft II Community Mapmaker/Modder • KTVMaps.wordpress.com (2010-2017)
- Creation of maps for the StarCraft II E-Sports community.
- Prototyping, production, playtesting, iteration, environmental concept art & environmental dressing of levels.
- Writing of level design guides for other community mapmakers & Pro-Gamers.
- Writing of game design opinion pieces from the ground level for the StarCraft II Development Team. (A Mapmaker’s Perspective series)
- Mentoring of other newer community mapmakers.
- Maintenance and updating of older Community Tutorials and Guides.
Tournament administrator, E-Sports map pool manager & quality assurance:
- Totalbiscuit’s SHOUTcraft Clan Wars – Season 2 (2015)
- Iberian StarCraft Series (2016)
- TeamLiquid Map Contest #9 (2017)
- TeamLiquid Map Contest #10 (2018)
- TeamLiquid Map Contest #11 (2018)
- TeamLiquid Map Contest Team Edition #1 (2018)
- TeamLiquid Map Contest #12 (2019)
- TeamLiquid Map Contest Team Edition #2 (2019)
- TeamLiquid Map Contest #13 (2019)
- TeamLiquid Map Contest #14 (2020)